10 Reasons Why Men Need a Massage More Than They Think. Everybody needs a massage. But men often don’t get massages as frequently as they should. Here are 10 reasons why men should get massage.
- Massage is a necessity for men who play physical sports. Massage not only eases the onset of muscle soreness, but can speed healing by boosting the body’s circulatory and immune system. A sports massage is specifically designed to improve athletic performance.
- Men are less likely to seek help when they’re feeling blue. While massage is not a substitute for more substantial mood therapies, the serotonin boost provided by massage can lift the blues and improve mental outlook.
- Men sometimes avoid getting a massage because they don’t want to go to a traditional spa and sip cucumber water while listening to the airy vocalizations of Enya. But not all massages are created equal – a Massage takes place at your own home or hotel, in your own space and on your own time.
- Massage can alleviate physical symptoms of stress, like headache and high blood pressure, which can affect men as they age. A Swedish massage is perfect for reducing stress. Massage even cures hangovers!
- Men often suffer from back and neck pain, caused by riding a desk all day or repetitive injury. A massage can ease back and neck pain – plus, it feels great!
- Normal male body reactions are totally fine in a massage. Men avoid massage because they are afraid they’ll drool, pass gas or get an erection. These are all normal physical reactions, and your licensed massage therapist will not be fazed at all.
- Massage increases flexibility. Men are typically less flexible than women, which can make them more prone to injury and muscle pain.
- About 20% of all men suffer from insomnia, an inability to fall asleep or stay asleep. Insomnia is associated with a lack of the hormone called serotonin, the “feel good hormone,” which is released in the body after a massage. The sense of relaxation and well-being you feel after a massage helps men fall asleep and spend more time in deep sleep.
- Massage is good for heart health. Over 8% of all men have coronary heart disease, according to the CDC. Massage relaxes the body, boosts circulation and lowers levels of cortisol, the stress hormone. All these things help reduce stress on the heart and improve cardiovascular health.
- Men are extremely prone to lower back pain. 25% will experience lower back pain in any given three month period. Avoid surgery for back pain – massage is proven to loosen tense muscles and ease back pain in men.